Sunday, March 30, 2008

Perfection?

Good Question. I have to agree with George Will when he said 90 feet...the distance between home and first. The baseball season begins tomorrow, in spite of ESPN and two games played on the other side of the international dateline. Oh, the power of the almighty dollar. Baseball can't begin before the Findlay Market parade in Cincinnati or the first pitch in Detroit. My great memories of growing up revolve around baseball. My first trip to Brigg's Stadium with my dad when we sat behind the Tiger dugout because my dad knew the beer distributor who had the seats. Dad probably was a major family contributor to the economic well being of the Teer family in the downriver with his beer purchases. Great payback. Those usher uniforms at "the corner" were great. Then I remember dad giving the usher a quarter for wiping down our seats. I was amazed...a quarter...my week's allowance just for wiping down a seat. I don't remember much about the game, a great catch by Al Kaline in right, tremendous play by Harvey Kuenn at short and the communal urinals in the restroom...quite a right of passage. I have loved baseball ever since. And I'm a purist...baseball is a sport to listen to on the radio. With XM Radio I can listen to every game every night.
Living in Louisville is a fan's dream. I have season tickets...the first game is Friday. Slugger Field is the best place to see a game...it's a gem.
Catch George Will's baseball column in today's Post.
That's all for now.
Talk to you later.

2 comments:

Judy Borawski said...

I think I finally figured this thing out. AH!!! Childhood memories. They can be great, I think

Brian Borawski said...

They have the Reds playing at 2 pm no less. Another great tradition that's been trampled on. I mean, the team has had organized ball since just after the Civil War so they should get the props.

And it looks like you'll get to see Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey for a month or two. They should have a pretty good team.