Sunday, April 13, 2008

Spring Break 2008

I'm home, no thanks to American Airlines, but that is another story. My trip to Texas was great...where do I start? Amanda and Justin are going to have a baby...yep, another grandchild. They told me in a unique way. When I arrived, they asked me if I wanted to see a new DVD they had received. It was a DVD of the first ultrasound. It was beautiful. This began a great week. I ate too much and drank too many beverages. The food was great. I have three recommendations if you ever travel to the Big Bend country, and I do recommend the trip. Big Bend is God's country, beautiful and isolated. Back to food. The first is Alicia's on the south side of Alpine. The best hamburger I have had since Watkin's closed. The second is in Study Butte, pronounced "Stoody". Its name is Cathy's Crazy Cowgirl Cafe. It is a true dive. The Frito pie was excellent even though it came in a bowl rather than the bag. Non Texans wouldn't understand. The final spot is the best of the three. The Edelweiss Restaurant is in the Holland Hotel in Alpine. Not only is the chicken fried steak to die for, but it has a mirobrewery. Try the Brewster Blonde. Beside the food, the attractions were great. Justin, Amanda and I went to a star party at the McDonald Observatory. I was a crystal clear evening. I have never seen so many stars in one place at one time. In our trip to Big Bend we visited Chisos Mountain Lodge. The views were spectacular. The rest of the week I wandered the back roads, visiting Fort Davis and the Museum of the Big Bend . I left Alpine on Thursday morning, knowing that my flights home had been cancelled. Never one to be stopped by a "pissing contest" between the FAA and American Airlines, I rented a car in Midland Texas to drive home to Louisville...a 20 plus hour drive. As soon as I rented the car I decided to visit Dee, David and the grandchildren in Temple. Talk about making lemonade out of lemons. It was great to see them, if only for a few hours. I will be spending three weeks with them in June, but seeing them for a short time was tremendous. The drive home on Friday was uneventful. I left Temple at 7:00AM and arrived home, turned in the car, unpacked and was in bed by 11:30PM. but now comes the difficult part: SCHOOL. Tomorrow morning at 6:15.
That's it for now.
Talk to you later.

3 comments:

Amanda Gregory said...

We had a great visit, too!!! I wish my stomach could handle Alicia's. Maybe the baby will want some in a few weeks!

Judy Borawski said...

Sounds like you had a good time. I would like to try those great burgers especially since they were as good as Watkins. Welcome back to the real world but I know how you feel about spending time with the grandkids, nothing better. Love, Me

daine said...

you drove! man i have a whole new respect for you Sir. I am Mean Black High top Chucks were cool but 20 hours in a rental. DAMN!